*DEADLINE EXTENDED: Applications will now be due by 9:00 AM Eastern Standard Time (EST) Monday, February 15th, 2021.*
Since 2013, South Asian Voices (SAV) has featured analysis on the security, politics, and economics of the subcontinent. Now, in partnership with CRDF Global, SAV is pleased to offer eight grants to emerging analysts, scholars, and researchers from Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh. The grant of $1,000 per awardee will support research and analysis culminating in the development of an innovative, deeply researched essay of 1,500-2,000 words related to nuclear security issues as they apply to the subcontinent. Topics may include the impact of cyber threats on the civilian nuclear sector; implications of emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence, distributed ledger technology, and additive manufacturing for nuclear security in South Asia; international and regional cooperation on nuclear security; and feasibility of advanced reactor designs such as small modular reactors to address water and energy crises in the region.
The SAV editorial team will work with grantees to develop a research outline and timeline as well as provide feedback on drafts of their essays. The final research products will be published on the SAV website, and grantees will also have the opportunity to present their research to experts in the field through a webinar series.
Application materials will include:
- A curriculum vitae of no more than two pages detailing the applicant’s professional and educational accomplishments;
- A writing sample of no more than two single-spaced pages related to South Asian nuclear security issues;
- A 250- to 500-word research proposal detailing the topic the applicant would like to explore in their essay, including a research question, methodology to be employed, existing research on the topic, and its policy relevance;
- A letter of recommendation from a professor or former employer who has supervised the applicant’s research and can explain what qualifications, skills, and experiences make the applicant an excellent fit for this grant.
DEADLINE EXTENDED: Applications will be due no later than 9:00 AM Eastern Standard Time (EST) Monday, February 15th, 2021. Proposals will be considered on a rolling basis until the deadline and early submissions will be prioritized.
All application materials except the letter of recommendation should be sent by the applicant in a single PDF to [email protected] with the subject header “Applicant Name – SAV CRDF Grant Application 2021.”
Letters of recommendation should be sent by recommenders to [email protected] with the subject header “Applicant Name – SAV CRDF Application 2021– Letter of Recommendation.”
Awardees will be selected based on criteria such as the quality of their research proposal and their research and writing aptitude. Shortlisted candidates may be interviewed before final decisions are made.
All applicants will be considered, but successful candidates will likely have some or all of the following:
- Demonstrable, substantive experience researching South Asia nuclear security or strategic issues;
- A track record of publications in journals, books, or newspapers/magazines;
- A master’s degree or higher in a relevant field.
Candidates who have not previously received a research grant will also receive greater consideration.
When will I hear back about the status of my application?
We expect to make final decisions by late February or early March 2021.
Am I eligible to apply for the grant?
Applicants must be from Pakistan, India, or Bangladesh to apply.
If awarded, when will I receive the total amount of the grant?
The grant will be awarded in two installments. CRDF Global will request additional information from grantees required to process the application before issuing any payments. The first payment will be issued after the submission of the first draft of the essay and the second after participation in the capstone webinar based on the awardee’s research.
I have a question that isn’t answered here. Whom can I contact?
Please address any remaining inquiries to [email protected].